Sure, Kendall Jenner and Bella Hadid’s nearly butt-less dresses got a lot of attention at the recent Met Gala, to benefit the Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. But theirs were not the only butts in town. While this year’s dames declined to display butt cleavage this time around, they revealed plenty of style and creativity.
The 2017 Met Gala was dedicated to “the oracle of fashion,” Rei Kawakubo of Comme des Garçons. Known for her avant-garde designs and ability to challenge conventional notions of beauty, good taste, and fashionability, Kawakubo’s work is the subject of a major exhibition at the Met right now through September.
But back to the Met Gala. While we are not able to post photos here, we have rounded up some fabulous evidence that fashion can be fun.
- Michele Lamy, a fascinating fashion character and muse of designer Jeremy Scott, is splendidly wrapped in the layers of a Commes des Garcons dress that we do not how she put on or will ever get out of.
- Catherine Deneuve, we are lost in your beautiful eyes. Also, hand over that Louis Vuitton dress. It’s stunning.
- Celine Dion, don’t ever change. And please explain what those buckles are for.
- Tracee Ellis Ross, did they sew this exquisite Comme des Garcons gown onto you? Wear it forever if you must–we won’t mind.
- Courtney Love and Francis Bean literally kissed and made up, both in Marc Jacobs.
- Diane Von Furstenberg, in a cheerfully ambivalent dress from her own label, has a playful moment with a photographer.
- Halle Berry, we have doubts about this Versace thing, but you are rocking it.
- Isabelle Huppert looks very French in this Dior ensemble. Must be the beret.
- Jennifer Lopez, we would like to take a swim in your Valentino gown, and we mean that literally.
- Julianne Moore is covered in feathers! By Calvin Klein. Damn, girl, you are fun!
- Caroline Kennedy was worn by a Rei Kawakubo dress by Comme des Garçons. Damn, girl, you are fun as well!
- Laura Dern is all sexy in the front, dotty in the back, in Gabriela Hearst.
- Madonna looks literally fierce, but we are not feeling the Jeremy Scott camouflage dress.
- Mary J. Blige is going to start a fire in this La Perla gown.
- Salma Hayek showed a LOT — of electric blue boot! Balenciaga for the win.
- Anna Wintour walked the red carpet in a delightfully dazzling Karl Lagerfeld gown. Then she and André Leon Talley had a chat about the meaning of “avant-garde.”